90. What if I was getting SNAP in another state or DTA says I am part of another SNAP household?

También en

Notas finales

Massachusetts Law Reform Institute

You cannot get SNAP in two states at the same time. This is called “duplicate participation” and it can be a serious offense if you do it intentionally1. But you can ask DTA to help you close your SNAP case in another state or remove you from someone else’s SNAP household if you have moved out.

SNAP in a different state

If you were getting SNAP in a different state and you move to Massachusetts, you need to ask the SNAP state agency in the state you left to close your SNAP case. If you have proof your SNAP was closed in the other state (such as a case closure notice), give that to DTA. If you are unable to get proof that the former state closed your SNAP case, DTA should offer to do a “collateral contact” (contact the other state) to verify that your benefits are closed and the date they were closed. DTA should approve your SNAP for a date that does not overlap with when you last got SNAP in the other state.


Maria moves to Massachusetts from Maine in August. She asks Maine to close her SNAP. Maine closes her SNAP effective September 1. She applies for SNAP in Massachusetts on August 15. DTA calls Maine to confirm that her case was closed and approves her SNAP going back to September 1. DTA cannot approve her case going back to August 15 because of the duplicate issuance rules.

Your SNAP in Massachusetts should not be delayed because you cannot get proof from the other state and the other state is not responsive to DTA. DTA should make the request to the other state and then approve your case.

If DTA does not help you and/or your SNAP in Massachusetts is delayed because of issues with your SNAP case in another state, contact MLRI at [email protected].

If you move out of a SNAP household

If you were living in a SNAP household and you move out, it is important that the SNAP head of household tell DTA that you have left so that DTA can remove you from that case. If that is not an option (for example, because you left a dangerous situation or are not on good terms with the family you left), you can still apply for SNAP and tell DTA you have moved. DTA may attempt to do a collateral contact, but they should also accept your word you have left. DTA will take steps to adjust the SNAP benefits of your old household, because you are no longer living there.
DTA should approve your own SNAP benefits.

If you moved because of a domestic violence situation, DTA should never ask you to get proof from the state or household you fled. Contact a DTA Domestic Violence specialist for help. See safety concerns and case information access.

Contact MLRI at [email protected] if DTA refuses to give you SNAP or delays your SNAP because of a “duplicate issuance” issue.

DTA Online Guide

See Appendix G for links to the DTA’s BEACON Online Guide for this section.

Notas finales
¿Le resultó útil esta página?