You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Where can I get help paying my rent?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed October 2023

Rental Assistance Programs

Apply at your regional Housing Consumer Education Center for:

Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) 

RAFT can pay up to $7000 in back rent or mortgage payments, utility bills, future rent, or moving costs if:

  • You are homeless or about to become homeless, and
  • Your income is less than 50% of Area Median Income (or less than 60% of AMI for households who are at risk of domestic violence)

RAFT sends payments to your landlord or mortgage company.

Apply for RAFT funds through Regional Housing Consumer Education Centers.

See the Massachusetts Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities (EOHLC)'s webpage for more information.

Note to immigrants

Your immigration status does not matter. Anyone can apply for RAFT.

Massachusetts 211

Dial 2-1-1 on your phone to find resources to pay for:

  • rent,
  • utilities,
  • food, and
  • child care.

Get the most up-to-date information over the phone. But, they also have a website,

Housing Consumer Education Centers of Massachusetts

Talk to your Housing Consumer Education Centers about emergency rental assistance if you have low income. They may know of other places to apply for money. Visit the Regional Housing Network of Massachusetts website to find the Center in your area.

Mutual Aid Networks

Mutual aid networks are groups where you can ask for things you need and offer items or services. Someone may be able to help you with your rent. Search Google for your city or town name and "mutual aid."

Other Help

Some cities and towns have money to help with rent. 

Some churches and non-profits like the Salvation Army may have money. Ask if they have money to help with rent.

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm