Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT)
If you are:
- Low income, and
- At risk of homelessness
the RAFT program may give you money for rent.
Find the agency that reviews applications where you live. Call 1-800-224-5124 or find the agency closest to you.
- Complete a pre-application. If you pass the pre-application screening, they will give you an application.
- Fill out the application. You must turn in copies of things like your bills, lease, and income with your application.
- If they approve your application they will tell you what to do to get the money.
Emergency Rental and Mortgage Assistance Program
You may be eligible for up to $4,000 to cover rent or mortgage payments if your household income is:
50-80% of Area Median Income (AMI), and you cannot get RAFT.
The money can cover payments missed after April 1, 2020 and upcoming rent or mortgage payments.
Apply where you apply for the RAFT program.
Dial 2-1-1 on your phone to find resources to pay for:
- food, and
- child care.
Get the most up-to-date information over the phone. But, they also have a website, Mass211.org.
Funds for Undocumented People
MassUndocuFund is giving money to:
- undocumented people, and
- people who cannot get money from other places.
Massachusetts COVID-19 Relief Fund
The Massachusetts COVID-19 Relief Fund will give non-profits money for people in need. This money is not available yet. The money will go to:
- Essential workers,
- First responders,
- Healthcare workers,
- Working families and households affected more than others by the impact of COVID-19,
- Individuals with disabilities,
- Houses with food insecurity, and
- Homeless people.
Contact your Community Action Program to ask for help.
Housing Consumer Education Centers of Massachusetts
Talk to your Housing Consumer Education Centers about emergency rental assistance if you have low income. They may know of other places to apply for money. Find your center or call 1-800-224-5124.
For actors, bartenders, restaurant workers and creators
There are special funds set up for you. Some money may cover your rent. Look at a list from the Committee for Public Counsel Services.
United Way COVID-19 Fund
Learn more about getting money for rent from the United Way.
Mutual Aid Organizations
List things you need and offer what you can give. Someone may be able to help with rent. Look for your city or town on the list.