You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


How can a 209A Restraining Order protect my child?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed April 2021

When you file a Complaint for a 209A Restraining Order you can ask for orders to protect your child.

You can ask the court to:

  • give you custody of your child,
  • order the defendant not to have contact with your child,
  • order the defendant to stay away from your child’s school and daycare, and
  • in the Probate and Family Court only, order supervised visitation.

See a sample 209A Complaint that asks the judge to protect your child.

To ask for a 209A order to protect your child, you need to show the judge why your child needs protection. Write all the reasons your child needs protection in the 209A affidavit.

Who to call for help

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm