28. What if you are a domestic violence survivor?

También en

Notas finales

Massachusetts Law Reform Institute

A number of special rules and procedures apply to survivors of domestic violence. See Appendix E (DTA Online Guide Links); DTA Field Operations Memo 2010-35 (Sept. 20, 2010).

Each DTA office has a Domestic Violence Specialist assigned to it. You can ask to see the Domestic Violence Specialist to help you develop a safety plan, help you get documents like birth certificates or court records, or locate services for your family.

The Domestic Violence Specialist will also help you fill out forms to request a waiver of TAFDC rules because of domestic violence. See getting a waiver or good cause exception to TAFDC rules because of domestic violence.

The Domestic Violence Specialist can also help you verify good cause for not cooperating with child support enforcement or can help you seek child support safely. See telling DTA about your child’s other parent.

For more information and phone numbers for Domestic Violence Specialists, ask DTA for DTA’s domestic violence brochure, or go to DTA's Domestic Violence Services page. The brochure is available in seven languages.

You can ask DTA for special confidentiality protections and block access to DTA Connect. See domestic violence survivors and others getting extra confidentiality protections. You can ask to use an alternate social security number (SSN). See having a Social Security number.

You can ask DTA to grant you “good cause” for not meeting a DTA rule, including the time limit, see the time limit rule and when your time limit starts over, the Work Program, and the school attendance rules for teen parents and pregnant teens. See Appendix E (DTA Online Guide Links).

There are special eligibility rules for certain battered noncitizens and their families who do not qualify under other noncitizen rules. See the special noncitizen eligibility rules for battered immigrants and their families.

Advocacy Reminder

  • If a DTA staff person thinks that your child has been abused or neglected, DTA may file a report with the Department of Children and Families. Contact your local legal services program, Appendix D, if you are worried DTA will file an abuse or neglect report.
¿Le resultó útil esta página?