Head’s up — MassLegalHelp is getting a new look!

At the beginning of March, we will be relaunching this website with a brand-new look. You may notice some things moved around, but our main content will stay the same. We hope the improved design will make it easier to find what you are looking for.


Who’s who? The banks, companies and servicers involved with your mortgage

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Created July 2013

Mortgage Holder. The mortgage holder has the right to foreclose on your house if you do not make your payments. The mortgage holder can be a bank, a company, a trust, or a person that owns the mortgage.

Noteholder: The “noteholder” is the company that owns the right to collect your payments.

Servicer: The company that sends you notices and bills is usually the “Servicer” for the mortgage holder. The mortgage holder hires a servicer to collect payments, process loan modifications and communicate with you about the loan.

Sometimes the mortgage holder, noteholder and servicer are all the same company. Sometimes they are three different companies. After June 22, 2012, in Massachusetts , a company that wants to foreclose must be both the mortgage holder and the noteholder .

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm