You are here

Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


Do I have to tell DTA about my child's father?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Created February 2019

You have to give the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) information about your child's father unless you are afraid of the father of your child. You do not have to give the DTA information about him if you can show you have "good cause" not to.  

DTA asks about the father of your child because they want him to pay child support.  After DTA gets information from you about the father, DTA gives the information to another agency called the Department of Revenue (DOR). DOR has lawyers who take the father of your children to court and try to get an order for child support (unless you already have one.) This can be helpful if you want child support.  Working with the DOR lawyers may mean going to court, and taking blood tests (genetic marker tests).

If you do not work with the DTA and you cannot show "good cause" DTA will lower your TAFDC benefits.



Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm