Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Emergency Notice

You are here

Probate and Family Court

Produced by Attorney Jeff Wolf for MassLegalHelp
Reviewed August 2015

The Probate and Family Court is a court where a judge decides family matters like:

You can also file other kinds of cases in Probate and Family Court, like adoption, guardianship, and name change cases.

Every county in Massachusetts has a Probate and Family Court.  If you have to go to court about one of these matters, you can usually go to the Probate and Family Court in your own county. You can find your county Probate and Family Court on the Massachusetts Court system website.

Who to call for help

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm