Can I enroll in an education or training through DTA’s “SNAP Path to Work” program?

Produced by Patricia Baker and Victoria Negus
Reviewed January 2018

YES. DTA is working with many employment and training providers to offer job search, on-the-job training and training programs for SNAP recipients who volunteer, or who need to participate in a program to be able to continue their SNAP benefits. These services are called “SNAP Path to Work” under the SNAP Employment and Training rules, or SNAP ET.

Any SNAP recipient age 16 or older can volunteer for a SNAP ET program. 106 CMR §362.310(B). If you are approved to enroll you do not need to pay for the training program. You can enroll and participate for free.

The SNAP Path to Work providers should be able to:

  • Help you update your resume
  • Help you develop interview skills or look for work.
  • Enroll you in education programs that include English as a second language, Adult Basic Education or GED.
  • Enroll you in a community college or other certificate program to help you get a specific skill.

DTA keeps a running list of providers who offer employment and training services on their SNAP Path to Work webpage

You can search for available providers by city and town. Contact DTA if you see a provider who offers you a program you are interested in and you want to enroll. 

Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm