96. What is Simplified Reporting and when must I report changes to DTA?

Also in
Show Endnotes
Massachusetts Law Reform Institute

The majority of SNAP households are on “Simplified Reporting”. This means you do not have to report to DTA any changes most of the time except for when you have to do paperwork (an Interim Report or Recertification) to keep your SNAP benefits.

There are also times when you DO need to tell DTA about a change in between your reporting periods. The rules vary for different types of households.

Households without members age 60+ or disabled:

You only need to tell DTA when your household’s gross income goes over the monthly gross income limit for your household size1. This includes if someone moves into your household with income that puts your household’s income goes over the limit.

Be sure to tell DTA by the 10th day of the month following the month your income went over the gross income limit. The gross income limit for your household is 200% of the Federal Poverty Level for your household size and should be listed on your approval notice. See Gross Income Chart in Appendix B.


Selina is a single mom with one child on simplified reporting. She has a part time job, earning $1,000 per month. Her SNAP was approved in January. Selina starts a second part time job in March earning $200/week. Her total monthly gross income from both jobs is about $500 below 200% FPL. She does not need to report the second job until her Recertification. However, in April Selina works more shifts and her gross income goes above 200% FPL. She needs to tell DTA by May 10th about this increase in income.

Households with members age 60+ and/or disabled

You only need to report changes when DTA sends you an Interim Report or Recertification form. You do not need to tell DTA about any changes in between these forms.

Reporting rules are different for some households where all members are seniors or persons with disabilities. See the reporting rules for older adults and persons with disabilities without earned income (EDSAP) about “EDSAP.”

When to report other changes to DTA

You are not required to report other changes, but you may want to report some changes if it will help boost your SNAP. For example, you may choose to report to DTA when:

  • Your income goes down,
  • Someone without income moves into your home or you have a baby,
  • Your shelter, childcare or medical costs go up, or you start paying child support.

DTA is required to act on the information you report and increase your SNAP benefits if you are eligible for more2.


Suzyn and her 3 kids are on Simplified Reporting. Her employer reduces her hours. If Suzyn chooses to report and verify the drop in earnings, DTA will recalculate and increase her SNAP benefits. Unless her income goes over the Gross Income level for her household, she is not required to report anything else until her Recertification.

If the change you report results in your SNAP increasing to the maximum benefit amount, DTA should issue you a supplement for the month of the reported change. See how quickly will DTA increase your SNAP if your income decreases or your expenses increase.

If you send DTA pay stubs or other information that shows your income has gone up or your housing costs or other costs have gone down – even though you are not required to send it -- DTA may treat that information as verified and reduce your SNAP. See what happens when DTA receives information about you after your SNAP application is approved 2. If you move, see reporting new addresses after moving.

DTA Online Guide

See Appendix G for links to the DTA’s BEACON Online Guide for this section.

Was this page helpful?