19. If I move, how do I report my new address?

También en

Notas finales

Massachusetts Law Reform Institute

It’s important to tell DTA if your address changes so you don’t miss important notices. Also, if you move and your shelter costs go up you may be eligible for more SNAP. Whenever you report a change of address, DTA should update your address in your case record.

To report a change
  • Call the DTA Assistance Line at 877-382-2363 and follow the prompts to update your address.
  • Use the DTA Connect profile settings to change your address.
  • Verbally report the change to a DTA worker on the Assistance Line or at a local DTA office, or
  • Upload information to DTA Connect about your new address, or mail or fax it to DTA.
Advocacy tip

If you update your change of address through the Assistance Line or DTA Connect, DTA will also mail you a form that says you have to send in information about changes in your household. DTA often incorrectly sends this form to most SNAP households. You do not have to return this form unless you also get TAFDC or EAEDC.

See reporting changes to the DTA to see what changes you are required to report to DTA. If DTA reduces your SNAP when you move, contact MLRI at [email protected].

If your rent amount changes

If your rent has increased, your SNAP may increase if you report the change to DTA. You are not required to report a decrease in your rent until your Recertification. If DTA sends you an Interim Report, you only have to report a decrease in your rent if it went down because you moved. See reporting changes to the DTA.

If DTA gets returned mail

DTA mail is not forwarded by the U.S. Post Office. If you move and DTA does not have your new address, DTA letters will likely get returned to DTA. However, if you left a forwarding address with the U.S. Post office, DTA may use that information to update your address. This does not always happen so it is important to always tell DTA if you have a new mailing address.

If everyone in your SNAP case also gets DTA cash

If you move and everyone in your SNAP case gets TAFDC or EAEDC (or some people get TAFDC and others get SSI), you must tell DTA you’re your new address is within 10 days of the move. At the same time you must also tell DTA if your rent changed. See Change Reporting for cash assistance households.

DTA may also close your cash case if they get returned mail for you, and/or if you move but do not respond to DTA letters asking you to verify your new address. DTA’s policies for handing returned mail in cash assistance cases may not follow the law. If DTA closes your DTA benefits due to returned mail, contact MLRI at [email protected].

DTA Online Guide

See Appendix G for links to the DTA’s BEACON 5 Online Guide for this section.

¿Le resultó útil esta página?