Want to share what you like about MassLegalHelp with us?


What information can I self-declare?

Produced by Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Reviewed March 2023

You can self-declare the following information for SNAP eligibility:

  • Your household composition – for example, if you live with others but purchase and prepare most of your food separately.
  • The U.S. citizenship of any household member.
  • Your date of birth.
  • Your shelter expenses such as your rent or homeownership costs, and the type of utilities you pay for.
  • Your childcare or adult dependent care expenses.
  • If you are age 60+ or get a disability-based benefit, your out-of-pocket medical expenses up to a capped amount.
  • Your college student status

See list of SNAP verifications at application: 106 C.M.R. §§ 361.610

DTA should accept your self-declaration unless DTA determines the information is questionable. See What if DTA does not accept the proofs I sent them?

You can verbally tell DTA this information when you talk with a SNAP worker, or you can write down this information on your SNAP Application, Recertification or Interim Report forms. You can also send DTA a written statement that you have signed and dated. See Appendix C for a sample self-declaration from for shelter and dependent care costs.

DTA Online Guide: See Appendix G for links to the DTA's BEACON 5 Online Guide for this section.


Find Legal Aid

You may be able to get free legal help from your local legal aid program. Or email a question about your own legal problem to a lawyer.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4pm